- artefact (Commonwealth)
- An object made by human hand or shaped by it.
- An object, such as a tool, weapon or ornament, of archaeological or
esp. such an object found at an archaeological excavation.
- The dig produced many Roman artifacts.
- Something viewed as a product of human conception or agency
rather than an inherent element.
- "The very act of looking at a naked model was an artifact of male supremacy" (Philip Weiss).
- Ref: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. 8 March 2007.
- A structure or
finding in an experiment or investigation that is not a true
feature of the object under observation, but is a result of
external action, the test arrangement, or an experimental error.
- The spot on his lung turned out to be an artifact of the X-ray process.
something viewed as a product of human conception
Artifact or artefact may refer to:
- Artifact (archaeology), any object made or modified by a human culture, and later recovered by an archaeological endeavor
- Artefact (band) black metal band from France
- Artifact (band), a band from Norway
- Artifact (error), an error or misrepresentation introduced by a technique and/or technology
- Artifact (fantasy), in the fantasy genre, is usually a magical object so powerful that it cannot be duplicated or destroyed by ordinary means
- Artifact (medical imaging), misrepresentations of tissue structures seen in medical images
- Artifact (observational), any perceived distortion or other data error caused by the instrument of observation
- Artifact (software development), one of many kinds of tangible byproduct produced during the development of software
- The Artifact (Eureka), a fictional object appearing in the TV series Eureka
- Compression artifact, data compression artifact in computer science, resulting from lossy data compression
- Cultural artifact, a human-made object which gives information about the culture of its creator and users
- Digital artifact, a visible defect in a digital photo or video picture
- Iatrogenic artifact, a disease made up by doctors
- Social artifact, a product of individuals or groups (social beings) or of their social behavior
- Sonic artifact, in sound and music production, sonic material that is accidental or unwanted, resulting from the editing of another sound
- Virtual artifact, objects in the digital environment
artifact in Czech: Artefakt
artifact in German: Artefakt
artifact in Spanish: Artefacto (desambiguación)
artifact in French: Artefact
artifact in Italian: Artefatto (disambigua)
artifact in Dutch: Artefact
artifact in Polish: Artefakt
artifact in Portuguese: Artefato
artifact in Russian: Артефакт
artifact in Simple English: Artifact
artifact in Slovak: Artefakt
affair, ancient manuscript, antique, antiquity, archaism, article, brainchild, cave painting, child, coinage, composition, concoction, creation, creature, crowning achievement, dingus, distillation, dofunny, dohickey, dojigger, dojiggy, domajig, domajigger, doodad, dowhacky, effect, end product, eolith, eppes, essence, etwas, extract, flumadiddle, fossil, fruit, gadget, gigamaree, gimmick, gizmo, handiwork, hickey, hootenanny, hootmalalie, invention, issue, jigger, manufacture, masterpiece, masterwork, material thing, mezzolith, microlith, mintage, neolith, new mintage, object, offspring, opera, opus, opuscule, origination, outcome, outgrowth, paleolith, petrification, petrified forest, petrified wood, petroglyph, plateaulith, product, production, quelque chose, relic, reliquiae, remains, result, ruin, ruins, something, survival, thing, thingum, thingumabob, thingumadad, thingumadoodle, thingumajig, thingumajigger, thingumaree, thingummy, vestige, whatchy, widget, work